Tips to Make Best Use of Conveyor Belt
Conveyor belts are widely used in quick transportation of materials from one place to another. They are even used in the self-regulation of different manufacturing procedures.
A conveyor belt is remarkably important in a company to efficiently increase its production. Proper maintenance is, therefore, a significant need to ensure its high-performance evaluation. It requires regular examination and monitoring of motors, availability of critical parts, and adequate training of maintenance personnel.
An accurate selection of a suitable conveyor belt is therefore essential.
Good care would increase the life of your conveyor system.
Also, it should be used wisely and in a correct manner to make the most use of it. Following are some tips to make the best use of conveyor belt
1) Select the right belt for application: There are many factors to be considered while selecting the correct belt for an application.
The choice of the right belt will lead to its precise usage and will increase its life.
Following are some factors to be included:
a) Minimum pulley
b) Sort of product being conveyed
d) Size of the load
The best way to get extended life out of your belt is to use the correct belt for a specific job. A particular belt should be selected, keeping in mind the nature of the work.
2) Correct tension to the belt should be applied: The primary reason for the inappropriate working of the belt is over-tensioning of conveyor belts. It ruins bearings, shafts and other parts of the conveyor.
The belts should be tensioned between 0.4% and 0.7% elongation. Providing more than that would lead to laps coming apart or lace pulling out precipitately.
In case you experience any sort of slippage on the belt, you may increase the wrap on your pulley. Do not keep putting more tension on the belt to make it turn, as this will cause more issues for your belt.
3) Do make sure that the belt is tracked correctly: When you use a new conveyor belt put it at the correct amount of tension and, slowly run the belt and make any adjustments for tracking in small steps.
If you run the belt at full speed or make larger changes, you can end up damaging the belt even before it has carried your product.
4) Clean the conveyor belts properly: Conveyor belt should be washed down entirely and should be cleaned on both the bottom and top sides.
It is necessary to check if the belt is loosened for cleaning, it must be re-tensioned and tracked accurately every time so that the belt runs correctly.
In case the cleaning process involves chemicals or cleaning solutions, make sure those chemicals are appropriate for your belt as some compounds of the belt react poorly to certain chemicals or cleansers.
5) Store the conveyor belts accurately: It is common for the companies to store extra conveyor belts in case of failures.
But it is crucial to store these new belts properly and in good condition. The belts should be sealed in plastic bags away from moisture, light, and contamination.
They should not be placed directly on floors where they are subject to the absorption of water. Also, keep the spare parts in good condition so as to be utilized in the future.
6) Ensure that the conveyor belts itself are in right condition: Make sure that the conveyor belt is in the correct condition before its use.
An inappropriate conveyor belt might lead to failures. If any replacement or repair is required, ensure to get it done on time as inapplicable conveyor belts may become a cause of any type of risks and omissions.